This is the place to go BIRD WATCHING close to Disney World (& Orlando)
Right here’s the place to go BIRD WATCHING close to Disney World (& Orlando)
Do you wish to go hen watching whereas visiting Disney World or Orlando?
Whether or not you’re uninterested in the crowds, have spent an excessive amount of cash on souvenirs and meals, or want some peace and quiet, I’ve nice information!
There are some wonderful parks and refuges within the surrounding Orlando space which are nice for watching birds! The checklist under exhibits NINE totally different birding hotspots only a brief drive from Disney. I attempted to place them so as from closest to farthest from Disney World.
And ensure to see my BONUS tip for locating nice locations to observe birds on the finish. 🙂
- Solely 10- quarter-hour away!
- Residence of the Vera Carter Environmental Heart, which offers a wide range of reveals and shows.
- Miles and miles of mountaineering trails.
- Roughly half-hour away, west of Orlando.
- A 150-acre protect that provides environmental schooling and ecotourism actions for guests of all ages.
- Residence to greater than 1,000 species of crops and animals, the protect is an important a part of the Everglades ecosystem. It comprises 3,500 acres of restored wetlands that act as nature’s “sponges,” capturing rain, filtering out vitamins, and replenishing our groundwater.
- It’s not affiliated with Disney, however the Walt Disney Firm supplied funds for restoration and wildlife monitoring on the protect and continues to associate on a number of on-site tasks at present.
- As soon as a fishing paradise recognized for its trophy bass, Lake Apopka endured practically 5 many years of air pollution alongside its shores, creating one in all Florida’s most polluted lakes. FOLA is a citizen advocacy group centered on restoring Lake Apopka to its as soon as pristine situation.
The Florida Birding Path recommends two totally different areas for birds:
- With emerald springs feeding the Wekiwa River and plush tropical hammocks, this distinctive park is simply minutes from downtown Orlando and is ideal for observing plentiful wildlife.
- Miles of trails beg to be explored on foot, bike or horseback, and canoes and kayaks can be found on-site. From the dense, nearly tropical hammocks close to the place the springs feed into the Wekiva River to the scenic sandhill uplands, the park affords ample alternatives to see many sorts of animals.
- This property is an oasis within the quickly growing Orlando space and protects the assets of the Econlockhatchee River. Regardless of its proximity to a metropolitan space, the property is a gem of pure areas with plentiful wildlife.
- One of many particular highlights of this property is its most well-known resident: the red-cockaded woodpecker. Purple-cockaded woodpeckers are the one woodpeckers in our space residing solely in cavities drilled into dwell pine timber. So maintain your eyes peeled whereas visiting, and chances are you’ll catch a glimpse.
- Plentiful wildlife, greater than 60 miles of trails, and quite a few fishing spots entice a broad vary of tourists.
- The Orlando Wetlands Park is a man-made wetland designed to offer superior therapy for reclaimed water from the Metropolis of Orlando and different native cities. The park is 1650 acres and is situated in Christmas, Florida.
- Passive recreation actions are permitted on the park. These embrace images, wildlife viewing, mountaineering, non-motorized bicycles, and horseback driving.
- Merritt Island Nationwide Wildlife Refuge was established in 1963 to guard migratory birds.
- Consisting of 140,000 acres, the refuge offers all kinds of habitats: coastal dunes, saltwater marshes, scrub, pine flatwoods, and hardwood hammocks. These habitats present habitat for greater than 1,500 species of crops and animals and 15 federally listed species.
- It’s situated about 60 miles east of Orlando.
**Bonus** – Orange Audubon Society
When touring, I discover it useful to take a look at the native Audubon chapter for details about the realm. This chapter appears to be very energetic and appears to be a helpful useful resource. When you’ve got time, it could be value becoming a member of one in all their subject journeys whereas on the town!
What are your favourite locations to observe birds close to Disney World or Orlando?
Please depart a COMMENT under!