And, on this present day 26 years in the past, the Good Information Community made optimistic information obtainable on the net for the primary time. Geri Weis-Corbley, the founder, labored in TV information, freelancing for CNN and different media firms, till the appearance of the web when she created what’s now the #1 supply for uplifting information. After studying code in html, Geri designed and constructed the positioning—and launched it with a click on of a button—delivering excellent news to anybody on this planet. Learn about why she began it… (1997)
This picture beneath, shot by a photographer for Girls’s World journal a pair months after launch, reveals Geri 22 years in the past together with her first Mac pc and three youngsters. Right this moment, the youngsters at the moment are adults—ages 27 by means of 31—and he or she nonetheless works on Macs. The 2 youngest have each contributed to the family-owned-operated information outlet, with the center baby, pictured right here in yellow, at present holding a place as workers editor.
Hundreds of individuals all over the world immediately present their assist by changing into a Member for $2.00 or extra, serving to to additional her mission of spreading inspiring information…
Extra Good Information on this Day:
- Ralph Waldo Emerson delivered a speech explaining his transcendentalist philosophy for the primary time to a big viewers — a type of mental Declaration of Independence — telling them to interrupt free from the previous, take note of the current, and create their very own distinctive concepts (1837)
- Glad 77th Birthday to Van Morrison, the soulful Irish singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist whose albums Moondance and Astral Weeks have acquired vital acclaim (1945)
- Malaya [Malaysia] in 1957, and Trinidad and Tobago in 1962, gained independence from the UK; and Kyrgyzstan from the Soviet Union in 1991
- Walter Cronkite started anchoring the CBS Night Information (1963)
- The Provisional Irish Republican Military declared an indefinite and “full cessation of army operations” after 25 years of bombing and killing, and though this ceasefire briefly broke down from 1995–97, it basically marked the tip of the full-scale marketing campaign (1994)
- Edvard Munch’s well-known portray The Scream, stolen on August 22, 2004, was recovered in a raid by Norwegian police (2006)
77 years in the past immediately, Foghorn Leghorn, the bombastic Warner Bros. cartoon character debuted within the quick movie Walky Talky Hawky. A big overbearing rooster with a Southern accent, his first identify ‘Foghorn’ is indicative of his loudmouthed character, whereas ‘Leghorn’ refers to a specific Italian breed of hen.
Foghorn’s voice was created and initially carried out by Mel Blanc. He referred to as everybody ‘boy’ and was identified for catchphrases like “I say…” and “That’s a joke, son!” The accent is similar to that of one other Mel Blanc voice: Yosemite Sam.
A lot of Foghorn’s cartoons concerned his prank battle with Barnyard Dawg, however, not like different cartoon rivalries, the Southern rooster pranks Dawg the basset hound, out of sheer self-amusement, slightly than malice.
Starring in 29 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies cartoons created by Robert McKimson and Warren Foster between 1946 to 1964, Foghorn Leghorn continued to amuse audiences in cameo appearances in movies like Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Area Jam. WATCH a few of his finest moments… (1946)
On this present day 153 years in the past, Maria Montessori was born in Chiaravalle, Italy. The scientist based an academic model primarily based on her research that exposed youngsters every had inherent, particular person items and it was her job as a instructor to assist them discover and develop these passions and items—as an alternative of dictating what a baby ought to know at any particular age.
Her mixed-age lecture rooms emphasised independence, self-directed studying, and studying from friends. Youngsters had been inspired to make choices and interact in actions of their selection for 3-hours at a time or extra. She was one of many first to make use of child-sized tables and chairs within the classroom and her Montessori colleges have sprung up the world over. She wrote many books about her philosophy of training, together with the 1912 traditional, The Montessori Technique. and in 1949, The Absorbent Thoughts. (1870)
SHARE the Milestones, Reminiscences, and Memes…