Celestron Regal ED 8×42 Binoculars: Our Evaluation
Good discipline of view and shut focus, with a reasonably good picture. We rated these within the Center Floor.
March 16, 2023
At A Look
- Prime mannequin for shut focus
- Good readability and minimal distortion
- Broad discipline of view
- Heavy really feel within the hand
- Free eyecups typically drifted out of place
- Stiff, slow-to-move focus wheel
- Worth: $390 MSRP at press time. Costs typically fluctuate, so test with retailers
- Shut focus: 4.9 ft (150 cm)
- Subject of view: 8° (420 ft at 1,000 yards). Extra about discipline of view
- Weight: 29.9 oz (847 g)—that’s about 4.2 oz (118 g) heavier than the typical for 8×42 binoculars in our overview
- Eye aid: 22.5 mm
Viewing Expertise: The Celestron Regals supplied viewing expertise, and excelled within the realm of shut focus and discipline of view. In head-to-head exams the picture high quality was comparable or barely higher than the inexpensive Celestron Nature DX, however not as brilliant and crisp because the equally priced Celestron Trailseeker ED. On a cloudy November day, the Regals appeared to impart a barely bluish solid, making a darkish woodland appear darker nonetheless. They labored very properly for capturing the teardrop facial markings of feminine Wooden Geese from about 100 yards away, and the panning was easy with none discernible distortion. When attempting to comply with unidentified sparrows at shut vary in low brush, the stiff focus wheel made it difficult to maintain the fast-moving birds in focus.
Really feel and Construct: The Regals are heavier than most different binoculars on this overview, and the stiff focus wheel was tough to regulate to. The free eyecups had a bent to vary place whereas the bins have been dangling at relaxation. The neck strap was comfy—extensive and padded, and the delicate black rubber housing made for grip, although one tester famous a robust odor “like tires.”
Feedback From Testers:
- Cumbersome, heavy total
- Stiff focus wheel
- Tremendous free eyecups
- Eyecups not tall sufficient with out glasses
- I couldn’t make them slender sufficient to suit the gap between my eyes
This text is one in a sequence of mini-reviews. To see how these binoculars evaluate to others we’ve examined, see our full overview of inexpensive 8×42 binoculars.